Saturday, January 28, 2017

Drawing from a photo: Wrinkles

Drawing from references is hard- especially when you're NOT trying to make it look like the picture. If you're drawing manga you aren't drawing a portrait, you're drawing a caricature.
So let's get down to my approach of drawing clothes in a manga style from actual pictures, be it from a family album, a Teen prom magazine, or- in this case- yourself in a bathroom mirror. How else can I get the pose I want without any friends?? xD





Yours truly in my most favored (and worn) jacket--->










In this first pencil sketch, I drew ALL the little wrinklies. The sketch looks messy because there's just too much for the brain to take in. It's chaos trying to jot down all the lines. Not even organized chaos, just chaos.
Here I used my dip pen (quill pen, ink pen, what have you) to highlight the most prominent wrinkles.
It's this trick of choosing only the lines that really matter that will make the transition from photo to manga-illustration.
Pick find the biggest wrinkles, where the clothes are experiencing the most strain.
I go into depth on this principle one of my other posts From Manga to Chibi and even go into the crazy cat analogy. ;)


The finished product looks much crisper than the sketch and still represents the picture, now manga style.


Here are two more photo-manga comparisons:


Fat lines for heavy sweater material, and thin, sharp ones for the tank top.






2 comments:

  1. Wow, you interpreted these beautifully! You did very well, especially when you consider that it IS hard to draw caricatures from references! Kudos. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job! I think my favorite of the three is the first one. XD Maybe cause I just like jean jackets. :P

    Sorry, I don't know what else to say... XD

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment, I'd love to hear what you think of my art!