Saturday, November 7, 2015

Manga Markers: Prismacolor, Blick and Utrecht

More markers! I love markers; Okay, not crayola. Those were fine when I was little, not now. Probably not the right markers for you either.
My last post was on Tombow markers, the biggest collection of markers in my household( They aren't actually mine, if you read the previous post, their my mom's). Today I'm going to tell you the pros and cons of prismacolor markers.
Here is a collection of dresses I did with my very limited set of prismacolor markers.

This was the first one; it had been a while since I had used my prismacolor manga markers, so I was just trying things out. Above in the left corner are my color tests, different combinations of my three green markers. Unlike the Tombows, the Prismacolor markers are a little more neutral in their color selections, which I love, because it does look better, especially on the page.

After I finished that one, I cut it out and added it to these. the green and blue ones are inked and the red is not. You would be surprised at what a difference that can make. It can save your drawing! 

PROS: between Utrecht, Blick and Prismacolor, Prismacolor markers blend the best. 
They're skin tones are EXCELLENT. I use brick beige and eggshell as basic skin colors.
They have a more neutral selection, which makes your drawing a little more appealing/more life like.
Their double end makes it easier to control your width.
 
 
CONS: expensive... but compared to copics, they're much cheaper.
Because of said expensiveness, it's hard for me to get a complete collection, so I filled up gaps and holes with a few blick markers and  Utrecht double ended markers. All three work very good together! Sadly they don't make the Utrecht markers anymore since Blick bought Utrecht. :'(

Here's a drawing I did with all three markers( blick, Utrecht and Prismacolor):

Some colors I didn't have, so I used a little bit of the tombows.

In case you're wondering( which you're probably not), I rate Utrecht as THE BEST, but their not sold anymore, and then Prismacolor and then Blick. Their colors aren't all that different from each other, except for the fact that the skin colors of prismacolor really are superior. 
What I love about Utrecht markers is that their brush tips are flexible, a complete life-saver, and they have lasted longer than the blicks.
The blick markers have good color selection, but their tips are stiff. :/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment, I'd love to hear what you think of my art!