Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Ink dip pen doodling

My mom bought me a dip pen for Christmas! :D
I've been doing a couple of exercises (from this book) to train myself to it, but for the most part I'm too impatient and have done a lot of free hand stuff and that has helped me gain control too. ;)
 I also have a red, nook-sized sketch book to carry around with me. It's paper is a little rough, not the best for ink, but it's easy to carry around and I can now doodle when I'm bored.
 This manga page is just a random collage I threw together after I had done a lot of pages like the spread from my red sketch book. I hadn't done any people with the pen before. I like where I put the black (for the big black blocks I used a brush pen to avoid wasting ink).
I inked these two girls yesterday. Using the dip pen is different than my regular technical pen or round pen, but it's so much cooler. I can control the line width without switching pens and there isn't any gradient ever, it's plain, comic-sans black. And I love it! I can't wait to use up my bottle of ink and have a legitimate reason to buy several more!

3 comments:

  1. Oooh... Those drawings are adorable, as always! I especially love the comic with the school girl. She is super cute!

    By the way, what is a dip pen? What's it look like?

    Guess what?! Me and my sis got two art pens for Christmas together! I have used them once so far. And oh my goodness! They make my drawing way awesome! XD I drew a chibi guy for one of my Valentine's pictures for my oldest sis. I still need to color it, but it looks awesome even without color! XD

    I also like really like the last picture. :D The bright red ink is a nice touch of color!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. there will be a post with pictures soon, but if you search up dip pen or quill pen it'll pop up. It's the traditional tool of manga artists.
      My friends are incredulous when I honestly say I'd be happy if they just get me a ream of paper or a few new pens- but it's true! :D
      I'd love to see your chibis! Send me a pic :) Rachaelltroy@gmail.com

      Delete
    2. Yay! Can't wait to see it! XD I love reading all your posts.

      Lol! So true for artists! We like our pens and paper. ^.^

      Aww, thanks!

      Delete

Leave a comment, I'd love to hear what you think of my art!