Tuesday, February 13, 2018

Manga Hair

It's important to realize that bangs come out of the hairline. When you visualize or even sketch out the hair line as I have above, the hair will all be uniform and look real.

Make sure that the hair isn't stuck to the skull by giving it some volume (unless your OC has a shaved head). Just a little bit will do- the more cartoony a character, the more volume.


Besides those two basic rules, hair variations have no limits! Here are a few common ones in my style. Instead of illustrating each strand, I organize the hair into 'clumps' that are much easier to tackle.














Remember to mind the HAIRLINE and VOLUME, and to divide the hair into sections. Have at it! here are a a few of my chibi girl characters- notice how there's more volume in a chibi's hair vz. Manga character- and yet they all have noticeable hair sections and a consistent hairline.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment, I'd love to hear what you think of my art!