Friday, September 25, 2015

Imperfectionisim: Manga Sketches

We've all seen beautiful art, the finished master pieces and unbelievably good line art; But the sketches? Not really. It takes guts and realism to put out your imperfect 'idea' manga sketches. No one wants you to see the terrible mess their art began as, they want you to marvel at the completed project! But when we see those drawings our hearts sink; how is that level of expertise even possible?
Well I am here to tell you they started somewhere, and that somewhere was pretty ugly. Here are a few of my recent manga sketches- fast and furious pieces of art that I had a glimpse of in my mind, that I scribbled onto the paper before the image totally vanished from my mind. So of course, they're all messy.




 These are all idea sketches for a manga I'm making about Demons and Angels. Soon, they will be locked in battle! The forces of good and the forces of evil( ish) clash in an internal war of dominance; the loosing side will forever be cast out of Ethenil into outer darkness.
Archangel Joshua knows that the demons cannot be allowed to change the fate of the worlds, and is prepared for war- but he is not prepared in his heart. Joshua is in love with the sister of Lucifer, the dissenter's own blood.
Torn between his love and his loyalty, Joshua will lead the angels into battle, as the general of Ethenil's forces; the war can only end in bloodshed.
Joshua must kill the Demon general, the sister of Lucifer, Sabine; His lover.

.... Okay, as I said, they're all IDEA sketches. The point is to capture the motion, and E-motion, of the picture in your head as fast as possible. It's hardly ever proportionate or perfect, but it's motion in itself. Don't be afraid to let loose sometimes and doodle, or sketch a mess; a beautiful, terrifying, scribbly mess.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment, I'd love to hear what you think of my art!