Friday, April 21, 2017

Why you SHOULDN'T buy Copics


Many professionals use copic markers, and they’re hailed everywhere as the best and brightest; Then there are a few who say that they’re not worth the price. I don’t know either way because I’ve never bought any. They are (supposedly) the ones that blend best, due to their ‘wateriness.’ BUT if you haven’t used alcoholic markers before I suggest getting a small set of necessary colors and starting with cheaper markers. Copics are regularly sold for 7$ per marker. 
When I got my first marker set (right now I have 75 Tombows, 20ish prisma and 24 Blicks), I was 13. After reading several how-to marker books I expected perfection, and when they didn’t magically blend and overlay, I gave up and thought that they weren’t working. A year later, I realized my foolishness, started over, and took the time to learn how to use them properly.

Copic markers would be like others in their league- Prisma, Blick, Neopiko- taking the same time to master. Whichever marker you end up choosing, I think it’s best to go cheaper and really get a feel for how markers work, before putting in too much investment into it. 


When you take the time to learn any marker, you can do the same things with all of them, so buying expensive ones just because everyone else does is a really poor excuse to yourself and your wallet. You should focus on real difference, like the nibs and the width of the marker (which will make a difference in how it feels to hold).
These things change from person to person. You might like flat, stiff nibs and fat markers, or you might not touch anything that doesn't have a brush nib.

My personal favorite is the Blick Studio Brush Marker, Blick has cheaper markers, and other brands even. like Prismacolor, but all-in-all the Brush Marker is the best one I've ever used. The stiff end makes coloring details a cinch, the brush end allows me to fill in large spaces, and they blend well with every other marker I own, even the non-alcoholic ones. (don't know why- I should look into that)

If you're a beginner with markers, I'd suggest getting a basic color set (6 or 12) of Blick's generic markers, along with the warm (Or cool) gray set. It's cheapest to but markers in bulk, whether in the sets or single, so when you have a collection of other colors in your wishlist, you might want to add a couple skin colors- but remember when selecting ANY marker- you can always go darker, but you can't lighten the color once you put it on the page! So try to get more light shades than dark ones. ;)

This post is almost entirely made up of texts I sent to a friend. xD

5 comments:

  1. I personally really like copics.. but these are some really valid points! I always thought they were a bit overpriced. I still like them but I may try and buy some of the cheaper ones you recommend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I've used them, they are great; I'm definitely not insinuating that they're bad- but I don't have the budget to buy a workable set, and the quality doesn't rise with the price. They are on the same level as far as blending qualities as Brush Marker Blicks, so I just buy from blick. :P

      Delete
  2. Mama Mia! Was this helpful or what! Thanks so much for this! :D I'm so going to have to buy so markers now. XD :drives to nearest craft store and buys tons of markers: XD Those are some helpful hints up there. I gotta remember them. :)

    By the way I tagged you on my blog. Here's the link to the post! http://faeriesandfolklore1.blogspot.ca/2017/04/the-sunshine-blogger-award.html
    I'm not sure if you do tags, but I thought I would tag you just in case you did. (You don't have to do it if you don't want to.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never been asked to do a tag, so I didn't know what it meant at first; but I'm down for it! Thanks for thinking of me. ;)

      Delete
    2. Yay! I was hoping you would want to do it! XD You're welcome! I can't wait to see your answers to the tag. :)

      Delete

Leave a comment, I'd love to hear what you think of my art!