Monday, November 14, 2016

Coloring a chibi girl with tombow manga markers

I start out with the line art; I suggest using technical pens because they have a wide range of sizes and they don't bleed! Tombow markers are water based and will not make the ink run whether it's a technical pen or ball point, but I use prismacolor for my skin tones and that got a little messy here.

I used a pink prismacolor pencil over two of my blick skin tones( beach and sand) for a little bit of blush around her eyes.

Next I did the hair. Tombow markers will look darker than they really are when you first apply them, so give them time to dry before you color over. I did one solid layer, then went over the places that I wanted darker.

I love the Tombow marker's bright/un fading color. Sometimes I make mistakes, but 'let's make them birds,' aka making it appear like the mistake isn't a mistake.
I used the same red brown marker for the belt, boots, hair, and eyes to help tie the picture together.

Because Tombow markers are not alcohol based, they don't blend too well, and while the resulting texture is great for hair and the like, it doesn't do too well for her leggings. If you're not as perfectionist as I am you can see past it though. XD

I used the pink pencil from before to add various highlights, and several more prismacolors to create a patten on top of the red marker. One of my favorite techniques is to apply pencil on top of a marker image because I can add little details, highlights or hemlines and such after the fact.

2 comments:

  1. Hey! You use tombow pens! I have a whole box of them lol. Thanks for making this tutorial! It is very useful to little ol' me (who is still pretty cringey at using markers)

    -LabSister-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been using an assortment of markers for almost two years now, but when I first got a set for my birthday I hid them because 'They weren't working' and I was so frustrated with myself for not being able to get them to work. It was only after I accepted that they were a totally different medium than I'd ever used that I was able to create quality images with them. I've learned quite a lot about tombows and if you have any questions about them, I'd love to talk with you/about them on deviantart or something. It's up to you. ;)

      Delete

Leave a comment, I'd love to hear what you think of my art!