Friday, December 9, 2016

Manga Markers: water based Koi Sakura

One of the manga marker types I use are Koi. I have a 6-marker set from last Christmas of varying greys. When using warm and cool greys in the same picture it can make the greys clash, so I suggest using one or the other. I used several cool greys for this anime girl.
Since I usually use alcohol-based markers I jump around instead of started at one end of a shape and filling it in; that made the tone of the water-based Koi really uneven and messy because of all the overlapping strokes.
I corrected my mistake when using a lighter koi for her skin and a darker one for her shirt, and slowed down, making sure all my strokes were all in the same direction.
In these close-ups of her hair and shirt you can see the difference. The choppy look isn't too bad since it's hair and doesn't have to look too uniform. On her shirt and made deliberate, quick strokes. The brush nib of the Koi and tom bow markers actually make it easier than the stiff nibs of most alcohol-based manga markers( blick, copic, prismacolor, ect. ).

Water-based marker recap:
1) cool greys don't hang out with the warm greys(because they're cool),
2) don't overlap with water-based markers unless it's intentional,
3) and keep strokes going in the same direction for a uniform look.
Link to the first time I used Sakura Koi markers- and made a big mistake concerning mouth wash. ;P

1 comment:

  1. You are so good with art! Gah! I could never do what you do! You make it look so professional! I love it!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment, I'd love to hear what you think of my art!