Tuesday, May 2, 2017

Draw a Chibi in three steps

Chibis can be as small as two heads tall, but I prefer a four-head tall semi-chibi style.
Step one: Pencil
Here is a quick 3-step pencil drawing of avatar Korra. I use the same basic blocks for chibis as I do regular manga, just chibis are chubbier. I have more in-depth posts on this step, How to chibi 1 and HtC 2. Keep everything super simple, and use as few wrinkles as possible.
Drawing lightly will make everything easier to erase when you ink your chibi, which is the next step:

Step two: Ink
Here I have inked Beckah (aka me) from my Webtoon Not so Generic, in three different pens. Which one you choose depends on what you like; the thick lines of the technical pen pop out of the page, but I like the variation of the G pen best.
If you're doing a simpler chibi, then thick lines are the best bet for a character that stands out and doesn't look too complex. ;)

Step three: Color
My friend Hunter, bc friends are great art models, though they don't ever know it. xD
You may choose colored pencil or paints, but I prefer markers. Remember the order of base, darks, and highlights, whichever you choose! If you follow the tut of Korra at the top, and follow the next 2 steps, remember to send me a picture!

1 comment:

  1. Aww, the chibi drawings are all so cute! :)

    Thanks for the great tips! :D

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment, I'd love to hear what you think of my art!