Wednesday, December 16, 2015

What do I need to create a Manga?

Seriously. People act like you need to be 31 with 50 years of experience and copics and everything- and Copics are $$$. <--- It's what makes us Manga artists cry at night.
Really, what do you need?


1. A pencil(Simple, right?). I prefer Ticonderoga. 

2. A pen. Micron is AMAZING, but if you're a penniless student like me, than any pen will do fine; Ink rollers and felt pens are great for Mange IF you let it dry and you aren't like me and smudge it all over the place.

3. Paper. Any paper will do really. If you can afford the fancy stuff, buy it. Cardstock was recommended to me as the cheapest and best by several Mangakas and manga artists, including Supittha Bunyapen, author of manga how to draw book 'Shojo Wonder Manga Art School'
I use copy paper for my sketches, and sometimes use sketchbooks( they don't really work for me, but I really should carry one around and use it. I have several, I just never use them because my perfectionist inside will not allow what is in them to be imperfect, which means I rip too many pages out) and Cardstock for final pages.

4. A ruler, not a big one, just a foot long works fine. The bendy, plastic ones are okay, but I prefer the metal ones as they give you clean/crisp lines.

and lastly...

5. Imagination. Manga really translates into English as 'whimsical pictures.' People want to be taken new places, experience new things or old ones more vividly. The vibrancy of the image is as high as you make it.

This really is all you need to create your very own manga. You don't have limits with these in hand, and while all the expensive material is cool and can save time/have other benefits, if you master these, you can create just as good manga art as with a 100$ pen or a X (<--- insert a number followed by many zeros) stack of watercolor paper, or Copic markers( That's my biggy. I want them so bad!).
After this, you don't need any more, but you could definitely use more, and more would be great. I will make a post on the more expensive art materials I've used, tried and trusted for those of you out there with a little money to burn. xD

So go on and make your own manga. I tip my hat to you, Friend. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment, I'd love to hear what you think of my art!