Monday, September 28, 2015

How to draw Manga Kids

So we all have that Manga how-to-draw book that only teaches how to draw super-unrealistic beautiful teens, right? But what about age differences or ethnicity? I don't. You?
I think Mark Crilley does an A+ job of trying to show different ages in his Mastering Manga books, and I've held a few other books that demonstrate how to draw the appropriate proportions.

little kid manga - Google Search: I DIDN'T DRAW THIS. Special thanks to whoever did. ;)
This is my example of an adorable manga kid, with child like proportions. I don't draw children that much either, but here are a few of the ones I have:



Children can be difficult to draw. As I was drawing the first, a manga girl with glasses, I had a little trouble trying to make her look as young as I wanted.













Here are a few points I think are important when drawing manga children:


1. Their heads need to be at LEAST as big as their hips or shoulders.
2. They don't need as much space between their hair and head; their heads are already to big.
3. Keep it simple, their hair, eyes, clothes- everything. I've come across the odd idiot or two who actually drew their kid with muscle definition. THEY DON'T HAVE MUSCLES TO DEFINE.
4. Children stay at least a little chubby until somewhere around the age eleven.
5. Big eyes. their ears, unlike adults and teens, should match their top to the eye's top and the ear lobe to the nose. REMEMBER: keep it simple.
6. hips and shoulders are the same width. At young ages, boys' and girls' bodies have little difference.

So, keep it simple, keep it round, keep it proportionate and keep it cute. ;) I'll see if I can do a step by step tutorial for manga kids later. I hope my hand writing is legible... lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment, I'd love to hear what you think of my art!