Tuesday, March 28, 2017

How I use Blick Markers

I'm making a Presley and Not-So-Generic T-shirt with this, and I experimented with my markers to see what colors I'd like best. For this drawing I used a combination of Blick and Prismacolor marker.
I color in a pencil image because if you ink it beforehand, the markers will make the ink bleed and will smudge it on your drawing.
 There are two ways to color with markers. Darkest to lightest, or lightest to darkest. I choose the second because if you use the first method, the layers overlap and do not blend well together, and I like a softer look.
I use two markers for skin tone, one light, and one dark. For this I used blick's Beach and Light Peach. !st I fill it in with Beach, touch in the shadows and then go over them with beach to blend them with the lower layer. :)
 Again, I start with the lightest colors. You can always go darker with markers, but it's very difficult to reverse that and get lighter. To compensate for bleeding, do not color right up to the outlines. I usually color in the base( as shown) and then wait till it's dry to add shadows. This is because Markers tend to dry lighter than they first appear. ;)

I added the darks with the same method mentioned above: Light, Dark, Light. Ink the drawing after it's dry to forego bleeding. You can also use pen directly on top of the marker, like I did with the eyes.

3 comments:

  1. Wow! This so amazingly awesome! Thanks for the tutorial. I actually was thinking about getting markers to color my art soon. What do you recommend for a starter pack of markers?

    I love how you did the girl's shirt for some reason. And the boy's sweater is cute. He's strings on his sweater are adorable...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Markers are AMAZING. I love them and how they look on my art. I'm don't have an answer off the top of my head but I'll collect the names of the ones I think nessicary and the best sets. ;D In fact, In going to make it into a post so I have more room than just the comment section for all the pros, cons, and tips for people who want to start with markers. :)

      Delete
    2. Yay! Now I must get them! XD :P

      Thanks so much! I can't to read that post! It'll be so helpful. :)

      Delete

Leave a comment, I'd love to hear what you think of my art!