Friday, March 24, 2017

Pencil-to-marker Manga boy

One of my best philosophies: What are friends for, but references and art models?? Also the lighting is kinda poor, sorry guys XD

 I use basic shapes to outline Sam. The differences between guys n' girls start here, with small things like widening the neck, and flat chest, and longer face. ( My older sister Bee says I draw them too long all the time XD )
There are specific details that make Sam, Sam: His hairstyle, the little kink in his nose, which I give attention to by added line width, high cheek bones and his eyebrow shape. When drawing a certain character, keep in mind what their tells are and what makes them who they are.





1st pic I darkened my final lines and gave his upper hair-thingy( what in the world do you call that?) volume and the buzzed part extra texture lines. 2nd pic I erased my guideline scribbles. ;)
 I used the 10, 20, 30, and 70% warm gray blick marker set for this. 30 and 20 for hair, overlapping for darker areas, 10 for his skin and 70 for his hoodie.
I finished by inking it in with a dollar-store( aka any old pen) pen to give it a raw look, and used more white-out than I should've. :P Used with discretion, white-out can really bring a picture together. ;)













10 comments:

  1. I love it! Do you still do requests, by the way?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Requests are only consistent in November( added up to just over 200 OCs last time- that's why as an Author I was struggling during Nanowrimo :P) But I will do a request or two every now and then for my VIPs.

      Delete
    2. Ah, K. My friend who saw when you did mine in November wondered if you still did them- I'll tell her to wait, XD.

      I think it's cool that you can art! I cannot art, so it fascinates me.

      Delete
    3. Psh, if it's a friend of yours I'll do it. ;) She just has to email me particulars. ( Rachaelltroy@gmail )

      Delete
  2. This is so wonderfully awesome!!!!!!!!!!! The guy looks cute. XD His hair is superb! The shading, oh my word, is so amazin'!!!!!! And Sam's hoodie is so well done. :)

    Have I ever mention how I love you drawing style?!!?!!! XD

    Wow, even Sam's eye is detailed. >.< XD

    By the way, I love your signature.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Chloe! :D As the artist, I'm not always certain what my style IS, but I must have one if you can recognize it. XD
      This may seem kind of random, but... Are you a Mormon?

      Delete
    2. You're welcome! ^.^ And, yup, I totes do recognize your style.

      XD No, I'm not a Mormon. I'm a Christian. :) Just curious, but is there any reason you asked?

      Delete
    3. Well, the Mormon church's real name is Church of Jesus Christ of Latter day saints, so they're Christians too. I wondered Bc they tend to be more respecting of modesty( like when you first followed mi and had the same attitude about manga and the scantily clad charscters) and are in general really kind and I read something about church in your chibi post. It was just a hunch XD all good connotations of course ;)

      Delete
    4. Yeah, being modest is super important to me, even though I'm not a Mormon.
      XD That was a fairly good hunch!

      Just curious, now that we are talking about Mormons and Christians and all that good stuff, are you a Mormon or Christian or something? (Sorry, if that was too blunt.)

      Delete
    5. Lol, nah, it's to the point. ;)
      Yes, I'm a member of the church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. It's really nice to meet/talk with others like you who share the same beliefs and standards! :D

      Delete

Leave a comment, I'd love to hear what you think of my art!