Thursday, January 7, 2016

Manga Studios: The Blending tool

I'm still figuring Manga Studios out, but one of the things that really helped me take a big step was finding the blender tool.
Manga Studios is pretty good as a basic digital art program, but I wouldn't recommend it for beginners. I got it with hardly any Photoshop experience and had only doodled in painter X a few times.
For a long time I did not use the blender tool because I didn't think there was one; I'd searched, and couldn't find it, and didn't until I plundered google day and night.
Here is the mysterious little bugger:
























It's that little circle of color right above the zoom tool. Now, it may seem obvious, but if you click the any of the little black triangle below the tool icons, then several optional tools will pop up like this:





 And it might start out as the dodge tool( also a priceless tool) until you switch it out. I generally keep my blender hardness as 50 or lower, and opacity at 70 or higher.
 At first I just splash on my colors in blobs with the marker tool, not really paying attention to the boundaries of the lines.
Then I take my blender tool and though I can do it with speed, I'm careful to blend the tones with a stroke that will make the art look more 3D than flat. don't change direction all of the sound either, it'll make your colors messy.
After I use my blending tool I take the eraser and erase everything that crosses the line. I will probably add a third color, or mess with it a bit more, but this is basically what I leave it at. I then make a new layer and continue on.
#Mangastudios

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment, I'd love to hear what you think of my art!