Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Creating your own manga character

This is going to be a short post; I've been busy at work lately and don't have a lot of time on my hands. I just want to make a few pointers in this post, and for that, I'll be using one of my own characters.



















This is Markus. He was inspired by the Zestria game, so I designed him to be able to fit right in as a water Seriphim, like Mikleo.
When creating your characters, you need to give them at least 3 defining characteristics, whether these are props, clothing or physical features. For Markus, his costume is pretty much elaborate enough to distinguish him from everyone else, but my favorite 'definers' are his blue feather earrings( okay, fine, black in the picture) and his double-bladed staff.
So always give them something different.
Also, while making them different, they need to be simple, or original enough, so that you can duplicate them many, MANY times.
If everyone is wearing school uniforms or the like, make sure your MC has a hairstyle that stands out from the rest. I'm not saying it has too be super spiky or anything like a lot of Manga MCs, just different. maybe make the others spiky and your MC's smooth.
Those are the two biggies. Other than that, just don't copy too much; This is yours, you want it to be you. Take what inspired you, Zestiria, in my case, and change it to look 'you.' Or just copy from many different places and mesh it all together... Kind of the same thing, really.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment, I'd love to hear what you think of my art!