Friday, October 30, 2015

Realism: Moving from Manga to Real People

My main style is Manga. I started two years ago, and haven't stopped. I've always wanted to get even better with my art, and one of my options is realism; drawing from figures and photos.
Here is a drawing I did from looking at a photo, my 3rd ever attempt at realism instead of manga, and I did NOT get her nose right
Mom noticed this even before I pointed it out, and decided I should sketch a full page of realistic noses, which, I did. Every bit of knowledge gives a certain kind of power, and learning to draw from real life will give you the ability to put more expression and 'life' into my manga art.
Here is a picture of a friend I drew from memory before the above picture, making it my 2nd attempt at realism:
It is from memory, and my 2nd drawing from real life, and so it's not very accurate and the eyes are a little tipsy, along with many other problems, but in drawing it, I was able to take another step in becoming better both as a manga artist, still life artist and an artist that specializes in realism.
I was going to show you guys my first-ever 'real' human drawing, which, again, was me in the mirror, but I couldn't find it.
However, here is my sheet of noses:

My destination isn't really a destination but a road, one that continues on. I have a long journey ahead of me, but since I've taken the first steps, it's that much shorter.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment, I'd love to hear what you think of my art!